Wednesday, January 6, 2010

And Another Thing ... by Eoin Colfer

So either you love the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books, or you're stupid.

And I won't be able to convince you to read this book if you haven't already read the other five books in the trilogy ... so I guess this is for the fans. I'm not even going to bother with a plot summary; does it matter?

Going in, I was a skeptic: No one will ever replace Douglas Adams. I was devastated by his death. And when I heard that kid's author Colfer was going to take a run at the series, I thought it was pretty ballsy. And stupid. ... but I was also first in line to read the new book.

WOW! It works for me. Really! Colfer got the tone right, and the characters right. The obtuse references and the absurd humor are all clicking. I could actually forget it wasn't Adams.

Go ahead - argue with me. I don't mind.

But I'm right.

No comments: