Monday, October 3, 2011

Mennonite in a Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen

The cat got mad at me while I was reading this book because I kept jostling her when I laughed; Janzen's stories about her family, her disastrous marriage and its breakup, and her medical mishaps are truly and amazingly hilarious.

But be warned: she's a fan of big words, and knows how to use them! On her mother's farting: "One of the great surprises to proximate auditors was her contribution of hortatory flatulence. Loud and astonishing were her expostulations, like the speeches of Daniel Webster." (This is one of the passages where the cat abandoned me.)

But there is a more serious side to the book, and there's a fair amount of spiritual discussion as Janzen explores and analyzes her beliefs concerning her Mennonite childhood, chafing against that restrictive lifestyle, and then her return for an extended stay at her parents' home during her adult "rebuilding" phase.

No comments: