Friday, October 5, 2012

An echo through the snow

by Andrea Thalasinos

Let me start with the full disclosure that I have known this author for many years.  With that in mind, I dove into this book with a critical perspective.  I'm like a kid when it comes to books; if it isn't good, I will move on to something else.  That said, this story captivated me.

Twin plots carry the reader between Siberia and Bayfield, Wisconsin and span about sixty years.  The unifying feature is the relationships formed with sled dogs.  In Siberia, Tariem and Jeaantaa struggle with finding ways to save their family and still honor traditions in light of the changes imposed by Stalin's soldiers. 

In Bayfield, Rosalie is a young woman who has lived a life of underestimation.  An impulsive decision to rescue an animal changes her life and reveals family secrets.  New and old friends help her find her way and discover hidden talents within herself and those she loves. 

No comments: