Monday, January 11, 2016

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

An explosion, a pretty girl, and a painting of a tiny yellow bird - the triggers that kickstart a new life for New York youngster Theo Dekker. It all happened in just a minute or so, but the repercussions last a lifetime.

At a whopping 770 pages long, this Pulitzer Prize-winning novel carries some heft. So instead, I did my shoulders a favor and listened to this one as an audiobook - all 32+ hours of it. Let's just say I got a lot of quilting time in while I enjoyed Theo's tale.

I don't know what I expected this book to be like (I'm embarrassed to say, more literary? boring?) but I was delighted to discover it's simply the tale of a boy growing up. So, maybe not SIMPLY - he's abandoned, orphaned, oblivious, neglected, saved, and endangered - but it's really a fantastic story about the event that changed Theo's life and the direction it took afterwards.

And I can't even say I wish there'd been less of it - it really was a fantastic story, captivating and engrossing even through 26 discs-worth of material.

No comments: