Wednesday, October 7, 2009

We Are All Fine Here by Mary Guterson

As if she didn't have enough to deal with, now Julia's pregnant, too.

Her son's become a teenager and doesn't want to be her best friend anymore. Her husband is boring, and well ... so is her job. Julia's idea of fun? Trying to get a response (any response) from her therapist.

She's still more-than-a-little obsessed with her college boyfriend, Ray, and the baby may be his: they had a quickie at a friend's wedding). Or it ironically may actually be her husband's baby: he dragged her to a "romantic" weekend, because he was trying to make Patricia, his workplace crush, jealous.

It's a short, quick book, but I found myself thinking about it for days afterward. Julia really grows as a person by the end, and I'm not sure I thought that would be possible. I enjoyed the twisting and unfolding of Julia's emotions as this story goes along. It's a very, very funny book, and the characters are great - I know women just like Julia, and I recognize that I could have become her, myself.

No comments: