Monday, January 26, 2009

The Possibilities of Sainthood by Donna Freitas

OK - full disclosure: I'm a long-time gone from worrying about my first kiss. And I am not now and never was Catholic. But usually, being a supposed "grown up" doesn't prevent my enjoyment of youth books and youthful endeavors. Except this book.

Antonia Lucia Labella is not a boring, suburban teen - rather, she's an American girl living in an old-world Italian family and neighborhood. Her family owns a grocery, and they work to make it successful nearly every minute of the day. She attends Catholic girls school. She's obsessed with saints and becoming the first living saint, but not overly engrossed in religion on the whole. Mostly, she just wants to finally find the right boy to kiss her - NOW!

I'm pretty "meh" on this one. It had moments of cute. And I did read all the way to the end. But I can't say I was fully engaged, or rooting for Antonia to figure things out. But then again, maybe I'm just old ...

No comments: