Tuesday, February 17, 2009

At Work by Annie Leibovitz

I have been a huge fan of Leibovitz since college. Her 90's portraits for Rolling Stone made the magazine worth the price of subscription. She's published several books of photography over the years, but this volume combines her own words about how she works with choice photos from across her career's trajectory.

It was interesting to hear her own nostalgia, or regret, concerning some of the most famous images she's captured. I've always loved her portrait of Keith Haring, and her reminiscence here makes it all worth while.

But the small scale bothered me. I wanted bigger pictures. I want to re-appreciate them in glorious color and grand scale. Instead, the book is easier to handle at a scant 7.5" x 9.75" and pictures are reproduced in snapshot size.

I'm afraid that if you're not already a fan, this book won't make you one. Which seems a shame.

No comments: