Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Dewey by Vicki Myron

I work in a library, and I love a cat. "The small-town library cat who touched the world" should be my new favorite! But it's not.

I began reading in earnest, and enjoyed a few chuckles at the scene about opening the library before the start of the day. They discover the kitten. It changes their staff. Dewey rekindles a community's faith in one another. And then I started skipping pages and skimming for good parts. I wanted less Spencer, Iowa and more Dewey the cat.

Myron does an admirable job of using the book to teach people about libraries - how they run, what happens "behind the desk." I wish I could say glowing things about her prose. But honestly, library operation is not that interesting - even to those of us who do it.

I hope this book becomes a juvenile book, or a picture book. I can see either of those scenarios working out incredibly well. But I thought this book was slow. Even the dramatic events seemed to lack drama.

So I'll admit I skimmed it, then let it go for the next patron on the hold list. Who may just learn a thing or two about the way a library operates and its importance in a community.

No comments: