Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Forester

After I finished reading this "tween" book, I flipped to the endpaper to see what else Forester had written. I wanted to reserve more ... YIKES! Her first book? Wow.

You know going in that something will have to make Piper McCloud very special, because life in the McCloud family is so ... so ... so normal. And regular. When her amazing talent is discovered, she is briskly approached and swept away to a special school for those with extraordinary talents. It's heavenly, it's wonderful, everything's great - except that one boy who's mean. Then everything gets turned upside down, and the mean boy may be the only good person Piper knows.

I really enjoyed this book. It wasn't predictable, and it was fun to discover the kids' unique abilities and how they can be utilized.

Late last year I read and loved "The Mysterious Benedict Society" by Trenton Lee Stewart. The two books are quite different, but also somewhat similar in tone and enthusiasm. I can see encouraging the same kids to try them both.

No comments: