Monday, March 2, 2009

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Schaffer and Annie Barrows

I listened to this outstanding audiobook, which uses 4 narrators to help aurally break down the multiple letter writers' voices for your convenience, and would highly recommend giving it a try.

The whole tale is told in letters - betweeen Londoner Juliet Ashton, her friends and swains, and a new group of friends she develops on the Channel Island of Guernsey. While the book is set just after the defeat of the Germans in WWII, through the correspondences we learn the World War II tales and fates of many of these common Europeans: bombings, occupations, emprisonments, separations and shortages.

The book made me think, made me laugh, and stayed with me throughout my day. I was slightly disappointed with the ending, but not enough to stop me from recommending that you give this tale a try.

No comments: