Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson

Isabel was promised freedom when her madam passed away, but the devilish, greedy nephew has other ideas - and really, what can a slave do about it anyway? Reluctantly, and then with more enthusiasm, Isabel gets wrapped up in an underground revolution. She spies, listens, and reports what she hears back to the Patriots, who have promised freedom when they come into power. It is with historical foresight that we know cringe and wish her to disobey, knowing that their promises will also prove hollow.

I guess it's not a stretch that Laurie Halse Anderson hits one out of the park with this book - she's hardly hit a clinker yet. But I was really amazed at the subtle, yet effective way she renders the subject of slavery. Touching, emotional & horrific - although perfectly acceptable (and even recommended) reading for middle schoolers.

(I'm not sure why I didn't blog on this title when I read it a couple months ago, but I've rectified that now I guess)

No comments: