Friday, June 5, 2009

Dark Side of the Morgue by Raymond Benson

OK - so I got hooked after the first Spike Berenger book. This is the second in the series.

This time, Spike gets a call to help some old "prog rock" buddies in Chicago who are being one by one murdered - by a ghost! While this gives Spike the chance to fully immerse himself in his favorite kind of music, the musicians don't give him much to go: despite the fact they've identified the woman as 70's groupie Sylvia Favero, they won't tell him why she might be systematically picking them off.

Benson's a solid mystery writer, and the ending was a surprise to me (always a bonus). I really enjoy all the music references, and each chapter heading is a song title with some link to the action. The "prog rock" got to be a bit much in this book - while Spike enjoys it, I'm more in line with his employee Remix, who thinks this music's all way too pretentious.

Still, I'm anxious to see what Spike's up to next - but this was a March 2009 release, so I may have to wait a bit.

No comments: