Friday, December 11, 2009

The Enthusiast by Charlie Haas

Starting with a rather accidental writing gig at Kite Buggy magazine, Henry Bay plows a path across the US, forming a career working for myriad miniscule magazines that each focus on one very specific hobby: magazines for spelunkers, crocheters, aquarium enthusiasts, or tea lovers.

I read this story with a bit of something like morbid curiosity: I kept thinking, "Whoa. If I'd chosen a different road, this could TOTALLY have been my life."

At least it all turns out pretty well. :)

The book is really about Henry's relationships - with his family, with his co-workers, and with the towns he encounters along the way. I really enjoyed the book; you're always slightly amazed at the next writing gig Henry stumbles into, and how its enthusiasts will ultimately affect him.

No comments: