Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan

Paul's an "out" gay sophomore in a high school where gay and straight don't matter; parents, on the other hand, aren't always quite as accepting - except Paul's, who are cool. Between Paul's ex having second thoughts, his best girlfriend dating a jerk, the cute new artist kid at school, and the drag queen quarterback, it's just another high school soap opera/high-drama situation.

I'll admit that I expect a lot from David Levithan, and this one left me cold; it's a little too unrealistically accepting to be truly believable, yet not unrealistic enough to become a fantasy.

But I have to admit that opinion may have been jaded by the audiobook. Full cast audio are either excellent or bad, and I thought this one fell in the latter category. Compounded with the overly melodramatic music interludes, and it just felt over-wrought and lame.

No comments: