Monday, April 12, 2010

Crazy Heart by Thomas Cobb

This is the book upon which the Oscar-winning movie was based. I have not yet seen the movie - because I believe the book is always better, so I wanted to read that first.

Now, having finished the book, I CANNOT WAIT to see the movie. This book rocks, and I can see how it will have translated to screen; I also can see how they will probably have changed the story to accommodate a movie audience. Hopefully, this means I will be OK with differences when I see the movie.

Bad Blake is a run-down, past-his-prime country singer. He had a few hits back in the day, but now he's playing juke joints with a different local backing band every night. Unexpectedly, Bad falls for a New Mexico reporter, and begins a relationship that's as much about her 4-year-old son as it is about her.

The story doesn't end tied in a big bow, and things don't always work out for the best. That's what makes this story so real: now I'll see if the movie keeps it real

No comments: