Monday, August 3, 2009

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

I'd been telling people I was reading a great middle-school book about a boy who's family was murdered and so he was raised by the ghosts in the graveyard. Never fails: adults give you the cynical, distrusting head-tilt and say acerbically, "For kids?"

Yes. For kids. But as is true with all great books, really ... for anyone.

I really enjoyed Bod's story. It was dark and full of suspense without being too frightening or depressing. I listened to the audiobook (read by the author!) and found myself wishing for more necessary travel.

It's really a tale of growing up and finding oneself. And even if you have the best parents in the world - or the graveyard - eventually you've got to set out on your own and find out what the real world is like.

No comments: