Monday, August 17, 2009

The Late, Lamented Molly Marx by Sally Koslow

I'm always fascinated with perceptions of the afterlife - I don't always like them, but I do like to see what authors think it might be like. And that's what drew me to this book.

Molly Marx died in a bicycle accident on the shores of the Hudson River. No one's quite sure what happened, but many of her nearest and dearest (and the police) are a bit suspicious. Even Molly doesn't quite remember what happened, despite the fact she's currently inhabiting "The Duration," observing her friends and family left behind, and enjoying the new special observation powers she has acquired.

Molly gains new perspective on her life by observing those she left behind. While she wasn't perfect, she had a normal up-and-down kind of life where she did the best she could with what she had at the moment.

This book is kind of hard to pigeon hole: It's got a mystery, and it's sorta chick lit, but it's not really either of those things completely. I will recommend it - I really enjoyed it, with its unique perspective and gradual story development.

No comments: