Monday, August 3, 2009

Urchin of the Riding Stars by M.I. McAllister

I'm not sure where I found this book - I'm pretty sure it must have been a pre-release notice about the 4th book in the series, to be released in August. It must have sounded good, because I went back and placed a hold on the first in the Mistmantle Chronicles series: "Urchin of the Riding Stars."

This is a renaissance-style story, full of kings and ladies, castles and the court. The twist is that Mistmantle is an island of animals: hedgehogs, otters, moles and squirrels. Animals act and relate in a human way, with quirks and characteristics influenced by their animal species. For the most part, they interact and get along despite their differences.

I loved this book, and no small part of that should be attributed to the excellent audio reader, Andrew Sachs. From the whispered elegance of Lady Aspen to the snarls of evil Captain Husk or the desolate growls of King Brushen, Sachs' performance was flawless. Unfortunately, I've discovered this is the only book in the series currently available on audio. I will read the rest, but I would have been happier to listen.

No comments: