Monday, September 21, 2009

Between the Bridge and the River by Craig Ferguson

I'm a huge fan of the Late, Late Show (when I "forget" to go to bed), and since Ferguson's autobiography is coming out soon, I wanted to see what else he'd written. Hey! He wrote a novel!

It's funny - and pretty good. I didn't know what to expect, and it was certainly not what I might have expected. But I really enjoyed it, and I was anxious to see where it would all lead.

If you watch much of Ferguson's show, you know he's smart and quick. His writing is the same: keep up, or you'll miss something. You're rewarded for your knowledge - I love that.

I'm not sure I can sum this book up in a few sentences - there are a lot of characters and storylines, all leading to one big gathering. I read Tom Robbins' "Still Life with Woodpecker" a couple times in high school and college, and I was reminded of that book a few times while I was reading this. This book's about religion, or more correctly, it's about belief. There are a lot of believers, non-believers, and hucksters here. And it's got some strange (but great) trippy kind of supernatural sequences that may be heaven/hell, drugs, or dreams/nightmares.

No comments: