Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sleeping Freshman Never Lie by David Lubar

I've been listening to this audiobook, and I'm giving up: It's probably a great book, but I think the full-cast audio with special effects has totally ruined it. I can't stand the reverb, hate the tinkly nursery music, and after 3 discs the jazz-lite transitions now set my teeth on edge.

The book switches between first-person narrative and lists/letters/diaries written by high school freshman Scott Hudson. There are a lot of great setups for Scott's freshman foibles - he leaps into situations for the attention of a girl, and ends up in several extra-curricular activities he had no plans on joining.

The letter/lists/etc. mostly take the form of advice for his unborn sibling. Scott is a great voice, and the book is probably great. But I'd take a wide berth around this audiobook.

No comments: