Monday, September 21, 2009

The Earth, My Butt and Other Big, Round Things by Carolyn Mackler

Of all the teen books I've read lately (I have been on a kick, haven't I?) this may be my favorite.

I loved this book because it's "true" in the sense that many real kids will - and do - find themselves in these situations. While there's drama, it's not *DRAMA*! Things are uncomfortable, or confusing, or crappy - but they're just part of learning to be yourself and live life.

This is a book about a girl figuring out who she is and who she wants to be. From the title, you can figure out that Virginia's weight is an issue. But it seems to be a bigger issue for those around her - for example, her mother.

We're hosting a teen/parent book discussion on this title, and I hope we get some good participation; I can't wait to hear what others thought!

No comments: